Background Reading Materials
Literature Relevant to Our Current Interests
* Work In Progress : please note that the content on this page is still being updated....
(Visit the Basic Immunology topic on our blog page for additional reading suggestions )
Recommended Textbooks :
- Kuby Immunology - Owen, Punt, Kuby & Stranford
- Immunobiology - Charles Janeway [Ed.] : This is the official textbook of our Graduate Immunology courses (new editions are edited by Kenneth Murphy).
- Fundamental Immunology - William E. Paul [Ed.]: This is the definitive resource for learning advanced Immunology.
Topical Reading :
- Overview of the Immune Response :
- Bonilla FA, Oettgen H. (J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010 Feb;125(2 Suppl 2):S33-40)
- Lanzavecchia A, Sallusto F. (Science. 2000 Oct 6;290(5489):92-7.)
Dynamics of T lymphocyte responses: intermediates, effectors, and memory cells.
- Jenkins MK, Khoruts A, Ingulli E, Mueller DL, McSorley SJ, Reinhardt RL, Itano A, Pape KA. (
Annu Rev Immunol. 2001;19:23-45)
In vivo activation of antigen-specific CD4 T cells.
Vaccines, Infections and T cell memory
- Overview of Vaccines and Immunological memory :
- Gourley TS, Wherry JE, Masopust D and Ahmed R.
Semin Immunol. 2004 Oct;16(5):323-33.
Generation and maintenance of immunological memory.
- Sallusto F, Lanzavecchia A, Araki K, Ahmed R. (Immunity. 2010 Oct 29;33(4):451-63. doi: 10.1016/j.immuni.2010.10.008.)
From vaccines to memory and back.
- Gourley TS, Wherry JE, Masopust D and Ahmed R. Semin Immunol. 2004 Oct;16(5):323-33.
Autoimmunity, Tolerance & T cell Tuning
- Overview of Tolerance :
Singh, NJ and Schwartz, RH
Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatol. 2006 Jan;2(1):44-52. Review.
Primer: mechanisms of immunologic tolerance.
- The concept of Tuning:
Grossman, Z and Paul, WE (Annual Review of Immunology, 2015. Vol. 33: 677-713)
Dynamic Tuning of Lymphocytes: Physiological Basis, Mechanisms, and Function.
Innate Immunity and the control of T cell activation
- Relevant concepts in Innate Immunity :
Pulendran, B., Palucka, K., and Banchereau, J. . (Science. (2001) 293, 253-256).
Sensing pathogens and tuning immune responses
- Overview of tissue-factors that influence T cell immunity :
Matzinger, P and Kamala, T (Nat Rev Immunol. 2011 Mar;11(3):221-30)
Tissue-based class control: the other side of tolerance.
- IL-12 p40 and the coding of context :
Abdi, K and Singh, NJ. (Cytokine. 2015 Nov;76(1):53-7)
Making many from few: IL-12p40 as a model for the combinatorial assembly of heterodimeric cytokines.
- Review of neural mechanisms regulating immune responses :
Chavan, SS; Pavlov, VA & Tracey, KJ ( Immunity (2017) 46 (6), p927–942)
Mechanisms and Therapeutic Relevance of Neuro-immune Communication